Day 5 - Iowa City, IA to Doniphan, NE - Repair Day

I woke up early this morning knowing that I had a lot of repairs to complete and a long drive ahead of me. Fortunately, the camper/van repairs went remarkably smoothly! We fixed the rear bumper on the van which involved removing the entire bumper and then smoothed out the dent that was preventing the door from opening. Then we put some electrical tape on the plug of the electrical cord that had tried to jump out the side of the camper during travels the day before. Finally, we put the door back on the tool box which had fallen off the day before. Successes all around!

The last task for the day was to get the laundry done. There were more loads than anticipated and so I got a later start than I had anticipated. However, it did leave time for my dad and I to jump into the canoe for a bit and paddle around the little pond in their backyard. No fish, but still good to get out there and try.

Once ready, the long trek to Denver was underway. I had about 6 hours of driving straight on I-80 to get to the eastern part of Nebraska. Lots of acres of farm and many, many pivot irrigators watering the crops, but not much for scenery. Fortunately, I had some folks to chat with me that helped me get through the miles and I arrived at the Mormon Island State Recreation Area for the night. It was nearly sunset which looked marvelous setting over the lake. I took some time to enjoy being bored and staring into the extremely clear water and watching the fish swim around. It offered the opportunity to see a fairly large bass swim by and scare off the bluegill!




Then as I was walking back to the camper, I found what might possibly be the boat I never knew I wanted until now!



It was transitional day, but a pretty successful one.  On to Colorado tomorrow!

Finished with 1,549 miles, 8 stateTotal miles travelled - 1,549 


# States (Provinces) - 8








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 8 - Fort Collins, CO to White River National Forest, CO - Family together again, and the trip goes sideways on us

Day 10 - Dinsoaur National Monument, UT to Salt Lake City, UT - The end of the whale

Day 9 - White River National Forest, CO to Dinosaur National Monument, UT - The trip really goes sideways